Thursday, January 19, 2012

Things you must know when you plan your trip to Italy

Colosseo, Rome
A lot of my friends have been asking me about Italy and places they could visit. They made me lots of questions about best places to visit and climate and people.  I will try to sum up all the most interesting facts here.

First of all, when going to Italy, you have to have a clear idea of why you are going: sightseeing, beach time or shopping. Trust me you won't have time to do all these three things in only a couple of weeks. You'll be exhausted and your memories will be blurred.


Capri
Then I would never suggest going sightseeing in summer: too humid and too hot, which is not the best combination for most of the people. Summer is excellent for some great beach time, renting a yacht and late night dinners with your Italian friends.

If you have not been feeling well and have been having heart issues, I would suggest taking advice from your practician before you leave.  My mother has been having high blood pressure and heat never makes her feel better. So, go to your doctor and don't forget your pills. And if you don't feel well, you should know that all Italian drugstores offer their free help in measuring your pressure at any time.

Best places for the beach time: 
  • Capri
  • Sorrento
  • Amalfi/Positano
  • north of Sadregna
  • Isle of Elba
  • Sicily
  • Toscana
  • Calabria
The most remarkable places for sightseeing:
Naples
  • Rome, again Rome and the Vatican. I can never get enough of this city. It's so filled with culture and history, one of the most romantic and beautiful cities in the world.
  • Venice. Even if I'm not such a big fan of Venice, I would still recommend you to go there, even for a day. Actually, one-two day trip will be more than enough.
  • Naples. Now I know what you've probably heard about it... Naples is magic. You must see it and feel the envy for those who live there and can see this magic scenery every morning. Do you have your window overlooking the Vesuvio, Capri, Ischia and Sorrento at the same time? If you do go to Naples, don't forget to visit the Statue of Veiled Christ (see my post: the most beautiful statue in the world)
  • Pompei. Let's just say it: you go to Italy and don't see Pompei? Ridiculous!
  • Florence and Vinci. Because we all love and admire Leonardo da Vinci! See more about Leonardo da Vinci at www.ilgeniodavinci.com
  • Verona. Go to see the Juilette's house and an opera in Arena. It is magic and you will always refer to Verona as the most romantic city in Italy.
  • Small cities make you the impression of the real Italy, so do not miss that chance. Rent a car and drive on! 
So, if you need to go shopping and bring yourself some made-in-italy clothes, go straight to Milano or Rome. Both cities are ideal for luxe shopping. You'll surely have a wonderful time sitting in their fancy restaurants, showing off your fancy clothes.

You should keep in your mind one very important thing: supermarkets and shops close at 12.30 - 1 p.m. and they do not open until 4 - 4.30 pm. We have our own siesta. You should also remember that restaurants do not open until 7 p.m. for dinner. A lot of Russians complain about that, as in Russia we can normally have lunch and dinner at any time you want. 

Venice
Stay away from people talking you into something. Especially if it's a big city, like Rome, Venice or Naples. They can steal your purse, your watch, etc. Well, that happens in all the countries, but still, be prepared.

When I first travelled to Rome I had a very unpleasant accident with my credit card. It was cloned and someone left me without one thousand euro. Unpleasant, but now I can teach you. Remember this one: if you need to get some cash do NOT use an ATM that's in the street. If you find one inside of the bank it's much safer and you won't have to repeat my mistakes.

Taxies are really expensive. Find a way to rent a car. This way you'll be your own master. But be careful when you're driving - Italians are crazy drivers!

I hope this was a helpful information. Contact me if there is something I could help you with. Have a great time in Italy!

No comments: